from the first seminars questions that we were given here are some of the answers I came up with.
- The season would most likely be late summer/early autumn, so not at the peak season, and around 11 o’clock as its starting to heat up a bit.
- The environment= Jurassic coast, sandy, built up. Weather conditions=sunny but not really hot, light wind/waves.
- There are some clear zones. E.g the lower gardens is often quieter and the pier due to the amusements is a lot louder, then the further down the beach you go its also quieter. Can hear traffic as well near the information centre.
- Recognisable features such as the pier, the Oceanairum, Harry Ramsdens famous fish and chips.
- Sounds= traffic, sea, wind, humans, seagulls.
- Who is occupying the space= elderly, young families, exercising people. Mixture of ages and nationalities as well as gender.
- How do people arrive in the area= Public transport, walking, cycling/running, skateboards, use of mobility scooters/wheelchairs access. Through the lower gardens.
- Use of space= Relaxation, not keeping track of time, sight seeing, using the attractions e.g eating. admiring the view, just passing through.
- A mixture of groups and individuals, it depends on their purpose of being there, a lot of couples, small young families.
- Use of smartphones= Elderly people don’t tend to be using them, the younger generations have hold of phones, taking photos, generally browsing. Exercisers using apps to track progress.
After visiting the beach the other day and starting to think about what concept I might like to adopt I jotted down the first ideas I was having as shown below: